Spicy Thai Tomato, Red Pepper and Ginger soup
topped with Avo and coriander
Serves 6 – 8
Take a rough mix of the following:
- Roma, vine and cocktail tomatoes halved (about one kg)
- 2 -3 Red Onions quartered
- 3 -4 Sweet Potatoes cut roughly into chunks
- 6 Garlic cloves squashed
- 2 inches of ginger sliced
- 3 Red Peppers, halved and seeded
- 4 – 6 chilies depending on taste
- 1/4 cup of Brown sugar (or palm sugar) sprinkled over, plus black pepper and Maldon salt
- Olive oil.
Combine all of the above on a baking tray, add a generous glug of Olive Oil and roast on a medium heat for about 1 hour. When done, remove skins from tomatoes, and potatoes and red peppers.
Put these into a large pot and blend with a hand held blender and keep on a low heat. Then add the following:
- 2 cups of good Chicken stock (or if you can Thai spicy stock)
- Coconut milk (1–2 tins, depending how creamy you want it)
- 1 – 2 tsp freshly grated ginger (or the juice from this)
- Finely sliced seeded chili (to taste)
- Juice of 2 limes
- Handful of torn fresh coriander and basil
- 1 roughly sliced lemongrass (this can be removed just before serving, but allow to infuse the flavour)
To serve top with fresh cubed avo and coriander, and if you have it, sliced up kaffir lime leaves.