Inspired by Denise’ recent trip to the Seychelles
Créole Fish Curry
200g firm white fish cut in chunks
40g chopped onion (1/2 cup)
230g chopped fresh tomato (1 cup)
15g crushed garlic (2 T)
4g turmeric powder (2 tsp)
30g olive oil (3T)
salt and pepper to taste
1g curry leaves (6)
10g curry powder (1 T)
10g ginger (1 T)
30g coconut milk (3T)
20g cubed eggplant (2T)
20g chopped coriander (2T)
served with creole rice (see recipe below)
1. Season cubed fish with salt, curry powder, turmeric and marinate for 15-30 minutes. Lightly pan fry and set aside.
2. Pan fry cubed eggplant and set aside.
3. Heat oil over low heat in a heavy skillet. Add onion, garlic, ginger, thyme, curry leaves and stir for a minute.
4. Add salt, pepper, curry powder, chili powder or fresh chili, then add turmeric. Stir for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and coriander.
5. Deglaze with water or stock and reduce for a few minutes.
6. Add coconut milk and curry leaves, simmer for 2 more minutes.
7. Add prepared fish and simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Add fried eggplant and stir for 30 seconds.
9. Finish with a squeeze or fresh lemon juice and garnish with fresh coriander.
10. Serve over rice .