· 1.5kg beef shin, cut into chunks
· 4 large shallots, peeled
· 400ml red wine
· 350ml beef stock
· 50ml ruby port
· 2 Tbsps. Tomato puree
· 10g porcini mushrooms, soaked
· 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
· 3 sprigs of thyme
· 125g brown mushrooms
· 250g portabellini mushrooms
· 250g baby button mushrooms
· Chopped parsley
1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based casserole over a medium heat, and brown the meat on all sides.
2. Set aside in the same pan, cook the shallots for 3 to 4 minutes, or until softened and golden.
3. Add the wine, stock, port, puree, porcini mushrooms and the water they soaked in, Worcestershire sauce, allspice and time into the pan, mix well then add meat and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 3 hours or until very tender. Add the other mushrooms to the pan for the last ten minutes. Season well and garnish to serve